This recipe was inspired by a joke cookbook that my husband and I got for our wedding called Mini Mart a la Carte. The cookbook’s premise is recipes that you can make while shopping only at a convenience store. In general, the recipes are things that I (or most anyone else) would not even dream of making, but the one for “Lowrider Lasagna” actually looked pretty good. I tweaked it a little and the result is below. It’s a big hit at my house and it’s something I can whip up even if I don’t have a lot of time to cook or badly need groceries.
7-11 Lasagna – Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Recipe type: Easy Meal
- 1 can refried beans (I like the ones with green chiles you could also use pinto beans)
- 1 large can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup frozen corn (or a can of corn)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Rip half the tortillas into pieces so they cover the bottom of the baking dish. Any size is fine. I usually do 2 whole tortillas and then rip a third into a few pieces to fill the gaps. Spread half of the refried beans on half of the tortillas and arrange half in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish to cover the bottom. Top evenly with half each of the corn, tomatoes and cheese.
- Cover the rest of the tortillas with the remaining refried beans and layer on top and cover with the rest of the corn, tomatoes and cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese begins to brown, about 15 minutes longer.
Leave a Reply