My friends all seem to be making Julie Van Rosendaal’s Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad and giving it rave reviews. I have to say, I was a little skeptical about a salad with raw kale and Brussels Sprouts. I’m not a huge fan of raw broccoli either. But the dressing softens some of the harshness that the raw greens might otherwise have. I had it as a side dish the first night and then topped it with a runny egg the next two days for lunch. It turns out that my friends were right. The salad is awesome.
Raw Kale and Brussels Sprouts Slaw with Bacon Recipe
(adapted from my favorite food blogger Julie’s Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad)
- 10 large Brussels Sprouts
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 green onions
- ⅓ cup almonds (I used raw whole almonds, but roasted, salted almonds would be awesome too)
- 3 slices of bacon cooked and chopped into small pieces
- Grainy Mustard Dressing Ingredients
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Discard the stems from the kale and cut it into thin strips.
- Cut the Brussels Sprouts in half and then slice into thin strips - discard the end.
- Chop the almonds into small pieces and slice the green onions.
- Mix the dressing ingredients into a container with a lid and shake well or into a small bowl and whisk.
- Combine the greens, almonds and bacon in a large bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Swap the green onions for shallots or red onions
- Skip the bacon and add some cheese like Parmesan or Pecorino (or it would be great with both)
Did They Eat It?
Gordie (4 years old): asked to try a piece of the kale. Said he liked it but wouldn’t eat any more
Nicky (14 months old): Not a huge fan but she liked the bacon.
Dana: Really good. perfect side to a less than virtuous main dish. I tried it topped with an over easy egg and it made a delicious lunch.
Leave a Reply