My mother-in-law is a big fan of Brussels sprouts and they are chalk full of vitamins but she wasn’t making any converts at home. I figure that just about anything can be appealing if you cook it the right way, so I set out to find something that everyone would enjoy. This is what I came up with.
- 1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts (shortcut - buy prewashed and bagged)
- 1.5 tablespoons oilve oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (do not skip the salt, you need it to counteract the bitterness of the sprouts)
- 0.5 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F (you can do 400 if you are in a hurry but you'll need to watch it near the end)
- Wash and trim the Brussels Sprouts if necessary. Cut each Brussels sprout in half.
- Place the Brussels Sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Seal it up and mix well. (Obviously you could also use a bowl if you'd rather).
- Put the Brussels spouts on a baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes. Turn them every 7-10 minutes so they cook evenly and don't char.
- When they are finished they should have a nice brown color but still have some green visible. The loose leaves may be blackened but nothing else should be.
If you have leftovers you can put them in a container in the fridge and eat then reheated in the oven/toaster oven or I actually like the leftovers cold, straight from the fridge. They store best if you let them cool down to room temperature first.
You could lighten the recipe up by using a cooking spray or olive oil mister to coat the Brussels Sprouts instead of the olive oil.
I saw this on twitter this morning and made them tonight. they were delicious. thanks so much for sharing!
Playground Snoop says
I’m so glad you liked them!