One of my favorite things in the world are those bags of pre-shredded cabbage. They keep well so you don’t have to use them right away, save time and effort and are really versatile. They are great in soups, stir frys, make an easy vegetable side dish or a perfect salad base. I had picked up a bag of cabbage (or coleslaw mix) and a rotisserie chicken while we were at the grocery store and decided to make a meal salad with them. This salad keeps well in the fridge for a couple days too so you don’t have it eat it all at once – the cashews will get a bit mushy though so you may want to put them on at the last minute.
- chicken - I used 2 breasts from a rotisserie chicken
- ½ bag coleslaw cabbage mix
- 1 mango sliced
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 green onions
- ½ cup chopped peanuts or cashews
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 squirt hot sauce (sriracha is nice)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar (I used rice wine)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon oil (I used canola oil)
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup peanut butter (if you are using natural peanut butter you may want to add some sugar)
- approx. ¼ cup water
- Shred the chicken into long strips.
- Add the chicken, coleslaw, mango slices and most of the green onions together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve topped with peanuts or cashews and a little green onion.
Did They Eat It?
Gordie: refused to try. no no no.
Nicky: liked the chicken
Stephen: It’s good.
Anne: Really good.
Dana: This is a kind of salad that makes me go back for seconds.
Yum! Sounds great – I love anything Thai inspired! Will give this one a try – thanks! 🙂
This looks so yummy!
Looks delicious! I love the pre-shredded cabbage too.