If there is one thing that will get my kids to try a soup, it’s meatballs. I like using the frozen meatballs from IKEA but you can use any frozen meatballs you like or even make your own (if you are way more enthusiastic than me). You don’t have to pre-cook them – they can go right on the broth. My kids all liked this soup. In their own way. My 1 year old loved everything although I didn’t give him a lot of the broth for obvious reasons. My 3 year old loved the carrots, meatballs, noodles and broth and my oldest liked the meatballs, noodles and tomatoes but no broth thank you very much.
Even though it felt a little silly at times, it was really nice to have a meal that everyone liked.
- 4 medium carrots diced
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups of broth beef (1 tetra pack)
- 1 pound of your favourite meatballs (uncooked)
- 1-2 cups of cooked pasta
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Saute onions and carrots. Add celery if desired. If you add the celery later it will be more crunchy. It just depends on your tastes.
- When the onions have softened add the broth, tomatoes seasoning and meatballs (and the celery if you haven't already).
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn the temperature down to a simmer and continue to cook for around 20 minutes. The meatballs should be fully cooked.
- Add some pasta to each bowl and serve the soup over top.