When my husband asked me to make a watermelon salad, I made this watermelon salad with red peppers and strawberries. I loved it but apparently it was not the watermelon salad that my husband had in mind. It turns out what he wanted was a grilled chicken salad with watermelon salsa. The salsa turned out really well but the salad needed either a glaze on the chicken or extra dressing over the salad. Maybe a spicy thai dressing or even a balsamic vinegar dressing. Or you can always just put the salsa in a bowl and eat it with chips and call that your salad. Which I absolutely did with the leftovers.
(adapted from the Pioneer Woman’s Watermelon Pico De Gallo Recipe)
- ⅛-1/4 pf a watermelon, diced
- 3 peppers, diced (I used red, yellow and orange)
- ¼ red onion diced
- bunch of cilantro chopped
- juice of two limes
- squirt of sriracha sauce
- If you are a big cilantro fan, you can just mix the ingredients together in a big bowl.
- If you are less certain about cilantro, start by mixing the watermelon, peppers and red onion in a large bowl.
- In a food processor (I used a magic bullet) mix together the cilantro, limes, sriracha sauce and salt. Blend well. This will take some of the bite out of the cilantro.
- Pour over the salsa and mix well.
- Serve over your bed of greens with grilled chicken (and hopefully some kind of dressing).
Did They Eat It?
Stephen: Really good.
Nicky (17 months): loved the peppers and watermelon
Gordie (4 years old): loved the watermelon as long as it wasn’t part of the salad.
Dana: I found it a little bit bland because I didn’t use any additional dressing and had grilled the chicken plain. I would make this again, but would definitely use some kind of dressing. The salsa itself was great.