This would be another great salad to make for a big group or a pot luck. It makes quite a bit. The first time I made it I accidentally used 1 1/4 cups of cooked rice. Which does not make a whole bunch, and kind of confused me until I figured out where I went wrong. This salad tastes best at room temperature so try to let it warm up a bit if you are serving it out of the fridge.
Rice Salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Herbs Recipe
(adapted from Jaimie Oliver‘s Rice Salad from Jaime’s Food Revolution Cookbook)
Salad #15 Rice Salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Herbs
- Salad Ingredients
- 1¼ cups uncooked rice (I used a mix of wild rice and brown basmati rice)
- 2-3 springs of fresh basil, mint and italian parsley
- 4-6 large roasted red, orange or yellow peppers or more if they are small
- a few squirts of siriacha
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- zest of 1 lemon
- Lemon Dressing Ingredients
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon (stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to get more juice out of it
- sea salt and black pepper
- Cook the rice and let cool. It's okay for the rice to be a little bit chewy.
- Finely chop the herbs and peppers
- Add the herbs and peppers to the rice and mix well.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small container and shake until well mixed.
- Add about ¼ cup of the dressing to the rice salad and a squirt of siriacha sauce.
- Mix everything well, add more salt and pepper if needed and top with lemon zest.
- swap the roasted red peppers for sun-dried tomatoes
- try out some different herbs
- instead of rice try barley, farro or quinoa
Did They Eat It?
Gordie (4 years old) – refused to try it
Nicky (13 months) – thought it was interesting
Anne – really tasty!
Bronwen – it’s delicious!
Geoff: asked for more
Stephen: It’s good.
Dana: It was good and makes a lot for little effort