My husband has been suggesting that I make a watermelon salad for a couple months. I don’t recall ever having one before but I thought I would give it a try now that watermelons are in season. It turned out even better than I expected. This would make a nice fresh salad for a BBQ. If you doubled the recipe, it would be great for a crowd too.
Watermelon Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing
(Adapted from Hola Jalapeno’s Watermelon and Apricot Salad)
- Salad Ingredients
- 2 lbs seedless watermelon cut into bite sized chunks (about ½ a small watermelon)
- 10 or so large strawberries sliced
- 2 medium sized red peppers chopped into chunks
- leaves from a few sprigs of basil and cilantro, chopped
- Dressing Ingredients
- 2 TBSP honey
- 3 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Add together dressing ingredients and shake well in a small container with a lid or a whisk in a small bowl until well mixed. If you are worried about the sharpness of the ginger you can saute it in a bit of oil before adding it to the dressing.
- In a large bowl mix the salad ingredients together and toss with the dressing.
- try mint instead of cilantro
- swap the red pepper for cucumber or tomatoes
- swap the strawberries for apricots or other juicy fruit.
Gordie (4 years old): Tried a couple pieces with dressing and proclaimed it terrible. (But he did try it….)
Nicky (15 months) : Thought it was great.
Anne: Delicious! Totally great.
Bronwen: I’d never put these ingredients together. What a perfect salad.
Stephen: Good. tasty.
Rob: Really good. Random things but it really works together. You don’t think of fruit and vegetables together.
Dana: This has been one of my favorite salads. I would absolutely make it again.
What’s your favorite salad that mixes fruits and vegetables?