This would be another great salad to make for a big group or a pot luck. It makes quite a bit. The first time I made it I accidentally used 1 1/4 cups of cooked rice. Which does not make a whole bunch, and kind of confused me until I figured out where I went wrong. This salad tastes best at room temperature so try to let it warm up a bit if you are serving it out of the fridge.
Rice Salad with Roasted Red Pepper and Herbs Recipe
(adapted from Jaimie Oliver‘s Rice Salad from Jaime’s Food Revolution Cookbook)
- Salad Ingredients
- 1¼ cups uncooked rice (I used a mix of wild rice and brown basmati rice)
- 2-3 springs of fresh basil, mint and italian parsley
- 4-6 large roasted red, orange or yellow peppers or more if they are small
- a few squirts of siriacha
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- zest of 1 lemon
- Lemon Dressing Ingredients
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon (stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to get more juice out of it
- sea salt and black pepper
- Cook the rice and let cool. It's okay for the rice to be a little bit chewy.
- Finely chop the herbs and peppers
- Add the herbs and peppers to the rice and mix well.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small container and shake until well mixed.
- Add about ¼ cup of the dressing to the rice salad and a squirt of siriacha sauce.
- Mix everything well, add more salt and pepper if needed and top with lemon zest.
- swap the roasted red peppers for sun-dried tomatoes
- try out some different herbs
- instead of rice try barley, farro or quinoa
Did They Eat It?
Gordie (4 years old) – refused to try it
Nicky (13 months) – thought it was interesting
Anne – really tasty!
Bronwen – it’s delicious!
Geoff: asked for more
Stephen: It’s good.
Dana: It was good and makes a lot for little effort