This salad is packed so full of nutrition that you just can’t help but feel good about eating it. It will keeps well in the fridge for a couple days which is good because this makes a ton. If you like your food on the spicy side you’ll probably want to increase the amount of chili powder – the recipe is pretty mild as it’s written. You could easily turn this into a great lunch by having some chicken or a hard boiled egg on the side – or even throwing a fried egg right on top.
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2 fresh squeezed limes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 handfuls of fresh kale or other greens
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1½ cups)
- 2 large chopped carrots
- 1-2 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed (optional)
- Mix up the dressing by whisking the lime juice, chili powder, olive oil, white vinegar and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Separate the leaves of the kale from the stems and cut them into tiny pieces. I ran mine through my food processor which worked really well.
- Chop the carrots (also great in the food processor) and the bell peppers (less awesome) into small pieces.
- Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well.